Top Ways To Prevent Toenail Fungus
Nail fungus is a common condition that can often take a long time to treat. Fungal nail infections usually affect our toenails but they can appear on your fingernails too.
Fungal nail infections begin as a white or yellow spot under the tip of your fingernail or toenail. As the infections go deeper, the fungus can cause your nails to discolor, thicken and crumble at the edge.
Here are some useful do's and don'ts when it comes to preventing toenail fungus from striking!
- Wear comfortable shoes and hosiery that allow your feet some breathing space
- Alternate your shoes if you can. Putting on shoes that are still damp from your previous workout can potentially increase your risk of a toenail fungus infection.
- Keep your feet clean and dry. Harvard Medical School suggests washing your feet every day, remembering to dry them thoroughly, and to use a good-quality foot powder.
- Wear clean socks or stockings every day
- Wear sandals or flip-flops in moist environments such as showers at the gym or pool or in community showers or outside showers, for example when you come off the beach.
- Throw out old shoes
- Keep your toenails trimmed
- Harvard Medical School recommends disinfecting pedicures before you use them
- Treat athlete’s foot as soon as possible to avoid it spreading to nails.
- The American College of Foot & Ankle Orthopedics & Medicine suggests using an antifungal powder to stop the growth and spread of fungi spores. Sprinkle the powder inside your socks and shoes before you wear them
- Do not wear other people's shoes
- Do not wear shoes that make your feet hot and sweaty
- Do not share towels
- Do not share nail clippers or scissors
© 2021 The Frank Gazette. All Rights Reserved.
- Disclaimer: People who are quoted in articles on this website do not necessarily endorse nor are necessarily associated with any of the products or services referred to or linked to in these articles.
- Click here to find out more about The Frank Gazette.
- FREE e-Book – Join The Frank Gazette mailing list and get your FREE e-Book on Brain Health, which includes vital information about how you can reduce your risk of cell phone usage and wireless waves on your brain